Financial advisors, who are located within institutions, are responsible for providing financial planning, financial advice, and investment management to serve the needs of the bank or credit union’s consumer and business customers or members. The financial advisor assesses investors’ investment portfolios and financial objectives and provides guidance on how to pursue those objectives. Find out more about the responsibilities and qualifications needed to become a financial advisor with Cetera Investment Services below.
- Meet with investors to review their existing financial situation and to establish the client/planner relationship. Analyze their investment portfolio and recommend an asset allocation and specific plan to meet established objectives.
- Develop, recommend, and implement an investment strategy suggesting specific investments and insurance products, for client approval, including separately managed investment accounts, mutual funds, annuities, equities, fixed income investments, corporate and tax-exempt bonds, life insurance, etc. The advisor will continue to monitor these recommendations to meet the client's needs over time.
- Maintain an ongoing client relationship by conducting periodic reviews with each client on a scheduled and as-needed basis.
- Collaborate with all departments of the institution to create a team environment and to meet investor needs. This includes referring customers or members to other areas, as appropriate. Provide feedback to referring individuals and departments on the status of the referral.
- Generate additional referrals from personal networking, seminars, and presentations to community groups, including but not limited to CPAs, attorneys, and other centers of influence.
- Keep abreast of new planning tools, products, and resources; changing regulations; and professional standards.
- Understand and comply with all aspects of institution and Cetera policies and practices, including laws and regulations governing the duties and responsibilities of investment sales.
- Maintain all necessary licenses and registrations as required, including completing all mandatory training and industry-related continuing education in a timely manner.
- Consistently demonstrate courteous and superior service to expand investor relationships.
- Exceed expectations in terms of accuracy, efficiency, courtesy, and professionalism.
With a strong focus on sales and customer service, the financial advisor should be a true people person who enjoys developing professional and mutually beneficial relationships with a wide variety of individuals. Candidates should be self-motivated and driven to exceed expectations in all that they do. Additional requirements of the financial advisor include:
- FINRA Series 7 and 66 (or Series 7 and combination of 63 and 65)
- Life and Health Insurance license of the state where applying
- Strong sales, marketing, and business development skills
- The desire and intrinsic motivation to meet or exceed goals
- Over two years of related sales experience and/or financial services experience; experience within financial institutions is preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, and with various levels of constituents within the bank
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred, with emphasis in accounting, finance, or related field of study
- Completion and approval of pre-hire process, including FINRA, criminal, and credit background check
Education and Training
Cetera is one of the nation’s largest networks of independently managed broker-dealers, supporting over 8,000 financial advisors. Specifically, in the bank and credit union channel, Cetera Investment Services is nationally recognized as a self-clearing broker-dealer, registered investment advisor, and insurance agency serving the clients of nearly 500 institutions, with assets ranging from $15 million to $13 billion+ nationwide, and approximately 1,500 advisors.
At Cetera, we continue to build on our strong reputation that’s more than 35 years in the making. As a member of our organization, you'll have access to:
- Award-winning wealth management and advisory platforms, comprehensive broker-dealer and registered investment adviser services, practice management support, and innovative technology
- Advisor orientation and training that provides an overview of all the tools and services available
- In-person, online, and self-guided training on the breadth of our AdviceWorks™ technology platform
- Access to dedicated sales support teams
- A clear transition plan and timeline so you know what to expect and when
- Assistance with account transfers and paperwork, and frequent updates on their status
- An introduction to our vast marketing resources, so you can start using them with current and prospective clients
EEO/AA: Women, minorities, the disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Contact us or fill out the form below to learn more about our institutional financial advisor positions in the following locations:
- Fort Smith, AR
- Phoenix, AZ
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Jose, CA
- Doral, FL
- Citrus County, FL
- Marion County, FL
- Marietta, GA
- Beecher, IL
- Chicago, IL
- Oakbrook, IL
- Alexandria, LA
- Lake Charles, LA
- Baltimore, MD
- Saco, ME
- Bay City, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Lansing, MI
- Traverse City, MI
- Crosby, MN
- Hattiesburg, MS
- Natchez, MS
- Fairfield, NJ
- Fort Lee, NJ
- Brooklyn, NY
- South Hornell, NY
- Troy, PA